The export sector is facing serious challenges, in particular manufacturing exports have been declining.
Enterprise Mauritius is currently operating the Speed to Market Scheme to boost exports and improve product delivery time. To further support the export sector, Government has set up an Exchange Rate Support Scheme (ERSS) for the export oriented enterprises. A special desk to receive and assess the claims of exporters and make the necessary payments under the ERSS will be operated at the Ministry of Industry, Commerce and Consumer Protection (Industry Division).
To provide temporary support to exporters who are facing the impact of the sharp depreciation of the US dollar.
· The Scheme applies to the Export Oriented Enterprises (EOE) (including the textiles, seafood, jewelry and emerging exports to Africa) exporting in US dollar. The measure will also benefit the small exporting enterprises but excludes the sugar sector.
· The reference rate of Rs 34.50 to the dollar is being used for determining the quantum of the exchange rate support.
· The support to EOEs will be equal to the difference between the reference rate of 1USD = Rs 34.50 and the rate at which the EOE has exchanged its exports proceeds invoiced in US dollars into Mauritian Rupees, subject to a maximum of Rs 2.50 per US dollar. (Updated 12 October 2017)
· The exchange should be relevant to the specific consignment. (Updated 12 October 2017)
· The FOB value of exports of goods in US dollar will be used for computation purposes.
· The Scheme is valid for a period of 6 months based on receipts for exports effected as from Monday 11 September 2017 up to Saturday 10 March 2018. The deadline for the scheme is extended by one week, that is, from 10th March 2018 to Saturday 17th March 2018 for all exports effected by sea only (updated 15 March 2018). Claims for refund along with the specified supporting documents should be submitted to this Ministry on a monthly basis. No claims will be considered after 16 July 2018.
· The shipment date of the consignment will be considered as the effective export date for the computation of the financial support.
· Payments will be made on a monthly basis, starting from 2 October 2017. Prior to effecting payment, any information disclosed by the applicant will be assessed by the Ministry, while exchange rate transaction will be cross-checked by the Bank of Mauritius and export date will be verified by the MRA.
· Any non-EOE manufacturing firm exporting in US dollar and wishing to avail of the Scheme will have to contact the Ministry.
Application for the Scheme
Exporters qualifying for the above scheme and wishing to take advantage thereof should submit their application, in hard and soft copies, on the prescribed ERSS Claim Form available on the Ministry's website http://industry.govmu.org , to the ERSS Cell at the Ministry of Industry, Commerce and Consumer Protection (Industry Division), 7th Floor, Air Mauritius Centre, John Kennedy Street, Port Louis, along with supporting documents. 'ERSS' should be clearly marked on the envelope. The soft copy should be emailed to email@example.com.
The following supporting documents are required along with the prescribed application form (Updated 26 October 2017):
1. Copy of Bill of Lading or Air Waybill or any other acceptable supporting document
2. Copy of Export Declaration Form
3. Copy of Commercial Invoice
4. Copy of Letter of Credit where applicable
5. Copy of document showing payment received in relation to commercial invoice
6. Commercial Bank Exchange Transaction Documents
7. Soft copy of summary claims in MS Excel