The Assay Office offers the following services:
1. Testing of gold, silver, platinum jewellery and their alloys for jewellers, government institutions and the public;
2. Verification and identification of precious and semi-precious stones for jewellers, government institutions and the public;
3. Grading of diamonds for jewellers, government institutions and the public;
4. Valuation of jewellery for the public;
5. Registration of jewellers dealing in gold, silver, platinum jewellery and precious or semi-precious stones;
6. Registration of Sponsor’s marks, Identification marks and Importer’s marks for jewellers;
7. Endorsement of Ownership Declaration Form pertaining to sale of second hand jewellery;
8. Inspection visits to ensure compliance with the Jewellery Act 2007;
9. Provision of relevant literature on jewellery; and
10. Investigation of complaints from public.
(i) Issue Certificate of Registration of Jewellers within two days from the date of application.
(ii) Register Sponsor’s mark/Identification mark/Importer’s mark within 30 minutes after submission.
(iii) Cupellation results are issued within three working days.
(iv) Touchstone and X-ray Spectrometry results are issued within one working day for each test method.
(v) Valuation certificates are issued within one working day.
(vi) Issue of identification reports for a maximum of 4 gemstones within two working days.
(vii) Issue of grading reports for a maximum of 3 diamonds within three working days.
The Assay Office operates two laboratories namely the Assay Laboratory and the Gemmology Laboratory. The services are offered to the public, jewellers and government institutions.